It's way too warm in here now, huh?
Ashlyn, before her death.
Ashlyn was the second survivor of Devil's Flight to die.
Ashlyn lived in McKinley Pennsylvania, and attended McKinley High School. She and Ashley Freund were two ditzy best friends who were very popular among their fellow classmates. Ashley and Ashlyn cared a lot about each other as shown in the rain scene where when Ashley was giving her phone number to Wendy, Ashlyn covered her head with a notebook instead of covering her own.
Final Destination 3Ashley and Ashlyn visit the carnival for their senior class field trip, and board the Devil's Flight roller coaster. Before the ride starts Wendy Christensen has a premonition that the roller coaster will crash, killing everyone on board. When she panics a fight breaks out between several other students, and Ashley and Ashlyn leave in annoyance, shortly before the roller coaster crashes as Wendy predicted, killing the remaining passengers on board. Weeks later, Ashley and Ashlynn are at school signing yearbooks when they see a distraught Wendy walking alone in the ran. They decide to invite her to the tanning salon, but she refuses the offer.
When Ashley and Ashlyn enter the tanning bed room, Ashley leaves her iced beverage sitting on a table, unaware that the VAC machine controlling the tanning beds is underneath it. Ashlyn decides to turn up the heat stating that "a few degrees won't hurt." Ashley decided to look through the CD's on a wooden shelf above one of the tanning beds. While doing so, she accidentally pulls the shelf loose. As the temperature in the room rises, the iced beverage cup persperates and begins to drip onto the machine under it, causing it to malfunction. The VAC then rises and the two girls notice something is wrong when it starts to get too hot.
Meanwhile, the air coming out from the vent, causes a coat rack to tip over. The coat rack knocks over a potted tree, which falls and knocks the CD shelf off the wall, and onto Ashley's tanning bed. When Ashley realizes they set temperature too high, she attempts to leave her bed, which in turn causes it to slide over into the opening slot of Ashlyn's bed, and then slide into the opening slot in Ashley's bed, preventing them from escaping.
The girls continue to pound on the tanning beds and scream for help, but to no avail. As the temperature continues to rise higher, Ashlyn's skin peels and tears, and her goggles melt and fuse to her eyeballs, causing her intense pain. Her tanning bed begins to rumble until the bulbs burst and ignite, shattering the glass and setting Ashlyn on fire, burning her alive. Ashlyn's hand sticks out. She is burnt to a crisp.
In the bonus features of Final Destination 3, viewers get to choose the fate of various characters in the film. If the viewer chooses to change the temperature that Ashlyn decides to set, the tanning bed scene will change to the alternative death. In this scene, the events that start the scene are the exact same up until the point where Ashlyn notices that the temperature is too hot.
In this version Ashlyn decides to get out earlier while Ashley remains in her bed which leads to Ashlyn getting knocked out by the falling shelf (which was knocked off by the coat hanger). The shelf then slides across the gaps in both beds, locking in Ashley while Ashlyn is unconscious on the floor. As the temperature rises, Ashley tries desperately to escape her tanning bed, pounding on the lid to try and free herself, but only to end up burning her hands each time. Desperately Ashley screams out for help but to no avail as Ashlyn is still out cold. At this point Ashley's skin burnt brown and shiny due to the sweat pouring out of her. A look of terror on Ashley's face as the glass above her cracks and shatters, slicing her face and chest, she lets out a loud shriek of pain.
Trying to slide through the end of the bed, Ashley screams for Ashlyn for help. Ashlyn finally starts to wake up to the screams of a terrified Ashley which are getting higher and higher, repeating her cry for help. Ashlyn quickly makes it to her feet and pulls the shelf out of the wedge in the tanning bed and opens the lid to a terrified Ashley, with her arms covering her chest and face to protect herself from the heat. Ashley's entire body burnt to a dark brown and her skin shiny with sweat. Ashlyn looks at her in shock of how burnt she, but Ashley just stares back in relief. Ashlyn extends her hand to lift Ashley up, Ashley grasps her hand in relief. As Ashlyn lift her up the extent of her injuries is clear, her chest covered in shards of glass and cuts from that glass. As she is lifted out of the bed the glass under her shatters, exposing the live wires underneath. In an instant Ashley and Ashlyn are electrocuted, frying her brain, as well as her heart. The shock leaves Ashlyn's body on the floor and a steaming, burnt Ashley still in the tanning bed.
- Wendy's photo of Ashley and Ashlyn is overexposed, making it look like they're on fire.
- After Ashley wins at the water gun booth, her prize is an inflatable palm tree, which represents the potted palm that knocked over the loose shelf, that locks the tanning beds trapping Ashley & Ashlyn.
- She and Ashley listen to the song "Love Rollercoaster" before the accident, a reference to Devil's Flight.
- It is ironic due to the fact that the word "ash" is in their names.
- When Wendy is in her room, her lamp's light bursts at the same time Ashley and Ashlyn get incinerated.
- Before getting into the tanning bed, Ashlyn turns up the heating in the room, stating that "a few degrees won't hurt." which in fact was the cause of each of their deaths.
- During Ashley and Ashlyn's funeral, the song "Hundred Grand" by Pete Atherton plays, which is the same song that played at the unveiling of the Flight 180 memorial in Final Destination.
- In the opening sequence, there are two women, known as "The Electric Sisters", who were electrocuted in their electric chairs, their skins, were overexposed.
- When Ashley's phone rings it plays a horror tune of The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976).
- During the "Love Rollercoaster" song you can hear one of the singers says "high!" again and again in the scene where the tanning bed temperature rises higher and higher.
- The name of the salon is "Phoenix Tanning Salon". According to mythology, phoenixes are associated with fire.
- If you look at the picture closely at Ashlyn, her head is laying on the palm tree, it represents the wooden plank that knocks her out in a deleted scene.
- If you look behind them you could sort of see a palm tree just in the corner of their picture, which is also in the room with them and in the company's logo
- Frankie tells them they're "smoking hot".
- Wendy leaves Ashley a message on her phone saying "Sorry I was too late."
- "A few degrees won't hurt." Ashlyn while increasing the room temperature.
- "Girls with asses like mine don't talk to guys with faces like yours" Ashley to Frankie.
- "It's way too warm in here now, huh?" Ashlyn realizes that Tanning Bed's temperature has increased than usual.
- "I fucked up. I set it too hot in here" Ashlyn regretting on increasing the room temperature.
- "Where are you going to see a dick that big?" Frankie to Ashlyn and Ashley. "I am seeing one right now." Ashlyn's reply.
- Final Destination 3 (portrayed by Crystal Lowe)
- Final Destination 3 (novel)
- The Final Destination (opening credits) (CGI image, not actor)
- Final Destination 5 (archive footage in ending credits) (portrayed by Crystal Lowe)
- Ashlyn's death (along with Ashley's) appears in the opening sequence of The Final Destination.
- Ashley and Ashlyn are referenced in the opening credits of Final Destination 5 by the tanning bed bulbs breaking on the screen.
- Ashlyn's last name is a reference to the Halperin brothers, two men who directed White Zombie (1932), the world's first zombie movie, and it's sequel Revolt of the Zombies (1936).
- Ashlyn looks very similar to Blake Dreyer in Final Destination while Ashley looks similar to Blake's best friend, Christa Marsh.
- Ashley and Ashlyn were going to be sisters, according to the direction commentary. This was also mentioned on a early draft of the script: Two fraternal twin sisters, JENNIFER and JESSICA HALPERIN are perfectly tanned wearing low cut spaghetti strap Von Dutch mid drift T's and low riding shorts exposing whale tail.'
- Ashlyn holds the record for the fastest death in the series died immediately after her tanning bed burst setting her on fire.
- They both have some scene focusing on their hips e.g. water gun booth , drinking slushee , etc. which could be what fascinated Frankie to record them.
- The song played during Ashley and Ashlyn's funeral is the same song as the one played during the memorial service of Flight 180 in Final Destination.
- The scene taking place in the tanning booth was a closed set. Only the camera operators were in the same room with Chelan Simmons and Crystal Lowe and black curtains were draped to keep onlookers out.
- There's a possibility that both Ashlyn's and Ashley's death was based off of the urban legend where the bride to be have literally cooked herself on a tanning bed before her wedding.
- In the television version of the film, Ashley and Ashlyn are wearing bathing suit tops and their dialogue is altered to suit the change. Ashlyn has her eyes burned and the rest of her body.
|Final Destination 3|
|Devil's Flight | Train 081|
|Wendy Christensen | Kevin Fischer | Perry Malinowski | Julie Christensen | Erin Ulmer | Ian McKinley | Lewis Romero | Frankie Cheeks | Ashlyn Halperin | Ashley Freund|
|Jason Wise | Carrie Dreyer | Bob | Elle Dana | Jill | Marcus | Scott|
|Stacy Kobayashi | Veronica | Amber Regan | Ethan | Harry | Ride Attendant | Mr. Christensen | Mrs. Christensen | Yuri | Minister | Jason Wise's brother | Mr. Fischer | Officar Clark | Officar Polanski | Ben Franklin | Payton | Kahill | Laura | Sean | Bludworth | Norman Goldstein|
|McKinley, Pennsylvania | McKinley Park | High Dive | McKinley High School | Phoenix Tanning Company | Andy's | Build it | McKinley Tri-Centennial|